Sunday, October 19, 2008

So today is day one of stop gaining any weight ;)
I had a fantastic summer "cut" and when I lost the amount of fat and wore the size of clothing I wanted to wear I moved to maintenance calories. Ok, but I forgot that maintenance is still tracking, counting and making sure my energy input ( eating) matches the energy used by my body. So, I have gained back a few pounds, nothing major. However it is so crucial to make sure I keep these pounds in check and not let them get too far ahead of me. I do not want to sit there with 20 pounds I have to lose AGAIN.

So, today I am buckled back in to a diet for a little bit and then when I move back to maintenance I will TRACK MY INPUT VS OUTPUT!!!

My family has been toying with the idea of becoming "gluten free" in our kitchen. We have a history of celiac disease in the family as well as autism under our roof. There has been such great information out there now on the effects of wheat on the digestive tract and what it does to the body when the body says " No thank you" to wheat but you eat it anyway.

However, gluten free is EXPENSIVE! I have 5 kids to feed , bills to pay and hello we all know what our economy is right now so I decided to do some research on how to go gluten free and not go broke making cookies. We have an international market near my house. Lucky Star in Somersworth NH. When you go there it is seemingly a hole in the wall store. The enter door is on the left, the exit door on the right . The electric door has a sign that says "door moves slow PUSH HARD" and boy they are not kidding...it does not move. When you go in the store you see a lot of boxes cluttered about, ninja gear for those times you engage in mortal combat ( which seems to be more common than I originally thought judging by their array of weapons) Walking around the corner past the weapons and soda bottles which have symbols as labels and no English translation you are greeted with the produce section.
Avocados as big as my 4 yr old's head-.99 cents each. (the fruit not the 4 yr old) 20lb bags of basmatti, jasmine, red and brown rices all under $10. This same rice is over $2 a pound at the grocery market. They also sell for pennies on the dollar all the ingredients for making gluten free baking flour. Rice flours, tapioca flour etc. All for literally dollars on the pound less expensive than the market place I normally shop at.

While I was there i also bought a 5 pound bag of raw peanuts for $5, smoked eel to see if Mr G will eat it (he did, it smelled like canned cat food to me though so I was not impressed) coconut spread which tastes like macaroons. No idea what to use it on but it was under $2 for a large jar. It would be fantastic on ice cream ( I am on a diet, on a diet on a diet) or drizzled over a cream pie ( I SAID I AM ON A DIET!!!!).

Anyway, I estimated what would cost us over $25 to buy at the grocery store would cost us under $10 at this international food hole in the wall. I will be going back! I would encourage you to look around your area and see if you may have an international hole to shop in as well. I was excited for new food ideas and the possibility of saving considerable money while shifting to gluten free fare. I also need to learn several different languages before I am tricked to buy bird spit soda again. Yes, we bought soda and tasted it only to find out..it has bird spit in it.
It is called Bird's Nest and well..I did not think it had BIRD NEST in it....this reminds me of when I was a young girl and ate head cheese when my father offered it. I thought it was just cheese....my parents still laugh about it and I am still working it out in therapy.

Anyway..here is a gluten free flour recipe you can put together rather easily and spend less money than if you were to buy those specialty boxes of gluten free flour that has enough flour to make a few pancakes but certainly not enough for a Sunday morning breakfast for my army of a family!

Gluten Free Flour
2 cups white (or brown) rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca starch
2/3 cup potato starch (not flour)

1 tsp guar or xantham gum per cup of mix.

oh and just a reminder, gluten free does not mean healthy. Peanut butter cups and nachos are gluten free...as is bird spit soda and head cheese....see my point?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

my relatives on my mom's side of the family tried to make me eat it. i think i had the same problem at the time i heard it was bird spit. but for the sake of health, I am now taking it regularly.

btw, i don't buy the super-expensive kind like old people do. the ready-to-drink kind at the stores are pretty affordable. (e.g. www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm)