Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I am in my kitchen tossing in healthy ingredients to my Kitchen Aide mixer. My two year old as well as my three year old daughters' are helping me, of course. I am making up the recipe as I go along. Soon the house is filled with the scent of baking goodness as the cake mixture rises in the pan inside my oven.

Fifteen minutes later it is complete. I mix up some protein powder pudding and slop it over a piece of this new concocted "dessert/meal"of mine and take a bite. ..........

At some point in this journey food function has surpassed food flavor. I am not saying I do not thoroughly enjoy the taste of a rib eye or a piece of birthday cake, but I equally enjoy a bowl of fiber rich, anti-oxidant loaded raw veggies. That is right, go ahead read it again...I said I EQUALLY ENJOY a rib eye to a bowl of raw vegetables. EQUALLY!! How in the hell did this happen? There was at some point in my life a time when I clearly enjoyed foods! To the point of my skin being stretched past normal, my clothing popping off buttons one by one as I outgrew the body I was suppose to have. Yet, in about 15 months worth of time I have decided function is as important to me, some days more important to me than the icing on the cake.

This morning I added some protein powder to my coffee walked over to my magic cake I made and lopped off a portion. It is dry and um...Listless....I would not win an award at any contest and I am pretty sure this recipe will die with me. I sat with my cake and coffee and chewed and sipped and chewed some more. My two year old daughter woke up and asked for a bite of my cake......She chewed a bit and then her eyes grew wide as she promptly spit my dry, gritty creation onto my living room rug. Hhhmm, I guess it tastes gross, I was not aware!!

When I was done eating my breakfast I honestly thought " Well it might not taste good but it is protein loaded, good clean carbs and is really filling for such a small portion" and I was sated with that. So, when I said 15 months ago I would do anything to lose that weight, I meant it! I really really meant it!!!

If you are just starting out today and see how people eat who have been healthy for a long time do not discount their foods. Don't sit and think " I could never like that...Or eat like he does or she does" I am here to tell you, you will change and develop new priorities and you will adjust and not even know it!

Begin the change......

1 comment:

Hudg said...

That is so funny but true.
When you get used to eating
"clean",the food taste good and satisfying.
I do think alot of our tastes are adaptive -
what we get used to.
As an added bonus, when you do have a "Treat meal" - it taste really good also.
It's all good & you get this fantastic body to go along with it.
Can't beat that deal!