Friday, September 09, 2005

Well, about 10 weeks into my decision to change my life I came across an interesting link. They talked about the exact amount of calories based on body weight and activity ( STAY WITH ME PEOPLE) one would need to see weight loss. Well, I am a normal lazy American and this was interesting. I thought to myself, hey this will let me do as little as possible and get results! It did, too. It cast out all those ideas of working so hard you sweat blood just to lose 4 pounds of fat. It showed me a way, a truth and a light that I had never seen before.
Years ago I was very interested in weight lifting. I joined a gym and worked very hard at it, and I got very fit but I was still "fat". However, this site showed me what to do in order to not be fat and look sleek and muscular and lean. I would not just look thin, according to what I was reading, but I would look like I worked out! Well sign me right the hell up for this! I was all over it!
Very soon, in my hands I had the complete printed version of a book called Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. Gregg, my husband, had printed it up for me and tabbed the chapters and handed it to me in a rut colored 3 ring binder. I read this book, I did the math to figure out my calories and mapped out my goals in log term.
Using the tools in this book I took my 37 pounds of weight loss I had achieved so far on my own and lost an additional 27 pounds of fat that I had no idea I could lose! My goals keep going and I am more and more educated on the human body, despite my college degree in it already!
I learned about body fat percentage, how much cardio is too much cardio. Read that last part again, because it is a really great thing to know.
We CAN do too much cardio!! WOOHOO, I knew it! However, most of us are in danger of doing to little so settle back down. I encourage anyone who wants to dig out of a rut, who wants a way to get completely healthy and have it explained SPECIFICALLY HOW and to find great motivation along the path, check out this book!
Here are some great links as well

www.fitren.com
www.weightlossforall.com

If you do nothing about this today, you will wake up fatter tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mikal said...

Just stumbled across your site. I too have recently lost significant weight. Here's my formula:

1. Your current weight x 10 = the number of calories you can consume in a day to keep you at your current weight. Example: If you weigh 170 lbs... x 10 = 1,700 calories per day in order to maintain a weight of 170 lbs..

2. Staying with the 170 lb. example, anything less than 1,700 calories consumed I considered "calories banked." For example, if you only consume 1,000 calories in a given day, I've banked 700 calories for that particular day.

3. As you know, exercise causes you to burn additional calories. These additional calories are added to your calories banked. Example: 500 calories burned thru exercise + 700 calories banked = 1,200 total calories banked for the day.

4. The total number of calories you must burn to lose 1 pound is 3,500; so, if you divide your calories banked by 3,500, you'll come up with a rough estimate for how much weight you'll shed that day. Example: 1,200 calories banked divided by 3,500 calories in a pound = .34 lbs. lost for the day in question. Do this 7 days a week and you drop 2.38 pounds a week.

Good luck with your goals. It was nice reading your site.

Unknown said...

if you use calories that way, you will lose weight but you will lose muscle as well as fat! try this formula
Katch-McArdle formula (BMR based on lean body weight)
1 kilogram = 2.2 lbs.
TDEE = total daily energy expenditure

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Example:
You are female
You weigh 120 lbs. (54.5 kilos)
Your body fat percentage is 20% (24 lbs. fat, 96 lbs. lean)
Your lean mass is 96 lbs. (43.6 kilos)
Your BMR = 370 + (21.6 X 43.6) = 1312 calories

To determine TDEE from BMR, you simply multiply BMR by the activity multiplier:

Example:
Your BMR is 1312
Your activity level is moderately active (work out 3-4 times per week)
Your activity factor is 1.55
Your TDEE = 1.55 X 1312 = 2033 calories

The primary benefit of factoring lean body mass into the equation is increased accuracy when your body composition leans to either end of the spectrum (very muscular or very obese).

Adjust your caloric intake according to your goal

Once you know your TDEE, the next step is to adjust your calories according to your primary goal. The mathematics of calorie balance are simple: To keep your weight at its current level, you should remain at your daily caloric maintenance level. To lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit by reducing your calories slightly below your maintenance level (or keeping your calories the same and increasing your activity above your current level). To gain weight you need to increase your calories above your maintenance level. The only difference between weight gain programs and weight loss programs is the total number of calories required.


When you have figured out your calories, and you know what ratio you plan to use, you can figure out how many calories & grams you will need of protein, carbs and fat.

I'll use 1442 as the BMR in this example.

TDEE = 1.55 x 1442 = 2235 calories per day to maintain
Calories for fat loss
.20 x 2235 = 447
2235 - 447 = 1788 calories per day.

So now to find out how much of what is needed to get the ratios & calories correct...